Aim of Project
The aim of the project is to provide an estimate of the play-based yet-to-find potential of conventional hydrocarbons on the Greenland continental shelf areas involving all sedimentary basins.
The project is carried out
- to facilitate company business decisions and guide the industry towards the most prospective areas,
- help the Greenland authorities and politicians in strategic decisions and in planning for future licensing rounds, and
- help defining new derisking G&G initiatives.
QC of project results is carried out by the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate and GIS-pax.
The project is now finalized with the publication of the all results on 8 May 2023.
The work is based on all existing data from the industry, GEUS, NUNAOIL and the Greenland Ministry of Industry, Energy and Research – apart from the basin modelling, which is performed in-house at GEUS.
Seven assessment units have been established (AU1-AU7) covering more than 2.4 million km2.
The assessment process for the project is shown by the Resource Evaluation Workflow.
- Basin evaluation is the first activity describing the structural and stratigraphic framework leading into an understanding of the petroleum systems as displayed by event charts, which then forms the basis for the subsequent
- Play analysis providing risk maps of Reservoir Presence, Reservoir Effectiveness, Top Seal Effectiveness, Trap Presence and Composite Charge
- Evaluation of all mapped and reported leads and prospects
- Yet-to-Find (Portfolio) analysis using the Player® software developed by GIS-Pax
- Stochastic Yet-to-Find volumetrics in collaboration with Stochastic aps (under development).
The project is carried out as a collaboration project between the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland (GEUS), the Greenland National Oil Company NUNAOIL and the Greenland Mineral Resources Authority (MRA).
27 January 2022
Presentation given at the FORCE Underexplored Plays IV Webinar 26-27 January 2022
Resource Assessment of Frontier Basins: An example from the play-based Greenland assessment – download presentation
NE Greenland continental margin: holistic analysis challenges old plays but identifies alternative Northwest Atlantic plays and provides a basis for new Greenland resource assessment – download presentation
3 February 2021
CPIs of all Greenland exploration wells now available as las-files from Central West Greenland Download page.
Download zip (user login required)